Haute Route Nation Forum
Haute Route Nation Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
RKranendonk HR Ambassador
RKranendonk HR Ambassador

Supertuck and floating aero bar ban Empty Supertuck and floating aero bar ban

7/4/2021, 7:08 pm
Hey people, let's have a discussion that the whole cycling world is already talking about since April the 1st Supertuck and floating aero bar ban 1f60b  

Namely: The new UCI rules and specifically the bans of the supertuck and the aero bar position.

When responding to this topic, please state if you've ever used these positions, if you believe they're safe and if you agree with the ban.

Supertuck: yes I've used it
Safe: in certain conditions yes
Ban: not convinced

My opinion about the supertuck: I've used it during Haute Route Ventoux 2020 (and on long, open descents in Switserland) and I believe it's perfectly safe in the following conditions:
- closed road
- not behind other riders (limited view)
- limited turns (for visibility and because cornering is just impossible)
- no heavy wind gusts (unpredictable in the mountains...)
But I realise that for amateurs these conditions are quite rare so I understand the idea that it should be demotivated us mortals. Personally I actually felt safer in the supertuck position during strong crosswinds at HR Ventoux 2020 because your center of gravity is lower. I also felt more comfortable braking also due to the lower center of mass. the fact that you can relax your upper body better and you have less risk falling over your handlebars when braking strongly.

But besides all that, for me as a 'heavy' rider (±80kg) I have to rely on my descending skills to catch groups of lightweight flies like yourself during races and the supertuck is an awesome method to do this. Furthermore I love to watch pro's fly down the mountain, attacking on descents, trying to push boundaries and risk and therefore I dislike the fact that it's banned... 

Floating aero bars: yes I use it a lot (I live in the Netherlands, only way to stay away from a peloton...)
Safe: also in certain conditions
Ban: ridiculous

For me this one is stupid, it's clear that you cannot and should not use it in a peloton or riding behind someone but when hammering at the front, attacking solo or catching up with a group of lightweights after a climb, this is the way to go. You get immediate feedback if you're losing control but as long as you do not endanger riders around you, I think it should be allowed. Without this, solo breakaways won't stand a chance (and again, me as a heavy rider catching up with lightweights after a climb), making the sport a bit more boring from my perspective.

Love to hear from the rest of you! Below a picture of me in the floating aero bar position, putting the hammer down and making people suffer in my wheel, hahaha  Supertuck and floating aero bar ban 1f607 

Supertuck and floating aero bar ban Sized_10
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum