Haute Route Nation Forum
Haute Route Nation Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Fred

How to find ways to train when you have little kids ? Empty How to find ways to train when you have little kids ?

19/4/2021, 9:31 am
Hi All, 

I wanted to know if anyone could share stories, or ideas on how to keep training in the saddle when you have little kids. I have a 2 year old daughter and I find it really challenging to stay fit and to keep training like I would like too. Indeed, training requires time away from home and I really struggle as I also want to be a good dad, that spends time with its kid. 

I am not looking for a magical solution but just if anyone can share some advices, maybe on training schedule, organisation, etc. it would be awesome

Thanks a lot for your help!
gordons

How to find ways to train when you have little kids ? Empty Re: How to find ways to train when you have little kids ?

24/5/2021, 8:50 pm
Hi Fred

I'm in the same situation. I have 2 young daughters so time is limited. I use a smart trainer during the week in conjunction with a training plan I got from TrainingPeaks that was designed for a week long mountain stage race. And they have loads to choose from depending on how much time you have to train and how far away the event is. I get up early in the morning and get a session done before the others wake up. Its hard so early in the morning but as most sessions are only 1 hour long I find it achievable. Some short hill work on a Saturday and just one endurance ride the Sunday. Fitness has developed and as its based on a plan, rest/easy weeks are factored in. Even if I had more time I think I would still use a structure plan base on how much I've improved.
Hope this helps

Fred Like this message

Fred

How to find ways to train when you have little kids ? Empty Re: How to find ways to train when you have little kids ?

25/5/2021, 10:11 am
Thanks a lot ! 
Yes, that is why I am working on at the moment.. trying to find a morning routine... not always easy to wake up early during the week..
I will have a look at Trainingpeaks as you suggest, and try to find if this kind work for me. 
How many kilometers do you ride a year approx? 
thanks
R. Warren Haute Route AMB

7/6/2021, 8:52 pm
It is challenging to balance training, work and family. Many people stop riding when they have young children but it is possible to be competitive and still be a good parent, spouse and employee. As suggested, you may need to be creative as to when you train. There was a time when I'd be on the bike at 4:45am riding in the dark with streetlights and bike lights and get in 2 hours of HARD training before returning home just in time for my wife to go to work at 6:45am. The loss of sleep was tough, but I wouldn't do this every day, just 2 times a week. 

You can also be creative with your trainer time. I would put my son down for a nap and jump on the trainer with the baby monitor in front of me. If he would wake up before I was done with my workout, I'd jump off the trainer and put him in his bassinette just outside of the fan for my trainer and he would be fine while I finished my workout. I used to actually bring him to group trainer workouts that I would lead at a studio. They were at 6:00am but, as a baby, he didn't care. I'd put him in his bassinette, again, just outside the fans and he was very content while I would lead my classes. I'd make sure that I had the class plan on a white board that everyone could see, just in case I needed to jump off the trainer to attend to him during class, but usually, he was just fine. 

Creativity is key in being able to keep on the bike and in shape when you have a young family. It takes efficiency and some hard work, but you can do it. Make the most of your limited training time and adjust your goals. You won't be able to win a week long stage race, but you may be able to still be competitive or at least enjoy a compact Haute Route event!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum